January 2, 2018

Goal Setting for the New Year

Goal Setting in 2018Setting Goals in the New Year

Do you ever find yourself saying on New Years Eve “This is going to be the year that I ….”.  Then about mid March you realize that the lofty goal you set for yourself is just out of reach. So you lower your standards, feel bad about yourself, and eat a whole pint of Ben and Jerry’s to feel better (well the last part is just me but… you get my point). In fact according to US News, 80% of people quit their New Year’s resolutions by the second week of February. To take it further, 92% of people fail to reach their goal during the year. This leaves only 8% of all people in the US who actually complete their New Year’s resolution. This is a staggering statistic, and proves the point of this article that goal setting is critical to success for the year.

In order to set goals for the year you need to dig deep. So get into some comfy clothes, pour a glass of wine, put the kids to bed and think “What do I need to accomplish this year to be successful?” This may sound like a simple question but it really takes a lot of thought. My one tip for this step is to think about what needs to be done and not focus on just the products of your success. A good example of this is money. Most people say they want to make so much money but they never talk about how they will earn it. If you follow your goals the money (or product of your work) will follow. Now let’s talk about how to write those goals.


Goals need to be SMART. Yes, you read right, goals need to be SMART. What I mean is how you write your goals is just as important as the goal itself. One format I got from my husband was SMART which stands for:

•Specific (simple, sensible, significant).

•Measurable (meaningful, motivating).

•Achievable (agreed, attainable).

•Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).

•Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).

One example of a SMART Goal is: I will drink water instead of soda every day this week. Doesn’t that sound better and more achievable than “I will eat healthier”. Setting vague g oals can be just as bad as setting unrealistic goals. Once you have your goals, write them down on a big piece of paper and hang them some where in your house where you will see them every day. Hope this is a start to a great new year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Copyright 2020 Meredith Ryncarz Photography LLC